Narcissism takes many forms, some relatively subtle.
Like taking a perfectly good idea—direct person to person charitable giving—and ruining it.
Consider some scenarios:
- Someone dies suddenly and the remaining partner is overwhelmed at the thought of providing for the children. He/she seeks funding for anticipated expenses including college tuition.
- A non-profit seeks funding to buy tents for local, houseless men and women.
- A land conservancy group seeks funding to buy and preserve even more environmentally fragile acreage.
- A young man, from a family of limited means, seeks funding to study abroad.
- A woman seeks funding to leave her job in order to be a professional triathlete.
- A young woman is getting married abroad, but accidentally books the wrong tickets for two of her best friends. Now she “needs $1,200 to fix this mistake and encourages people to “Help spread the word!”
The first three, too legit to quit. The last three, distinctly illegit, well past time to quit.